Labrecque-Lee Book Prize
Call for Submissions: The Labrecque-Lee Book Prize
The Canadian Anthropology Society – la Société canadienne d'anthropologie
(CASCA) is seeking submissions for the Labrecque-Lee Book Prize. Established in 2018, the Labrecque-Lee Book Prize recognizes outstanding anthropological publications in either French or English. CASCA is now accepting submissions for the inaugural awards to be announced at the 2019 annual meeting in Vancouver, BC. These awards are made in honour of two outstanding Canadian anthropologists, Marie-France Labrecque and Richard Lee. In addition to being honoured by CASCA at the annual meeting, recipients of the Larecque-Lee Book Prize will also receive a $500 award. Nominations for the Labrecque-Lee Book Prize must be submitted by someone other than the author(s) and meet the following criteria:
- Single or co-authored monograph works (co-edited volumes/collections are ineligible).
- Works published no earlier than January 1, 2018.
- Works grounded in any anthropological subject and/or methodology is welcome (i.e. socio-cultural, archaeological, bio-cultural, ethnohistorical, and linguistic works).
- Author(s) of the work must hold a CASCA membership and demonstrate a Canadian affiliation in at least one of the following ways:
- The publication nominated is an ethnography focused in a Canadian setting.
- The author is based at a Canadian academic and/or research institution.
- The author holds a degree from a Canadian university.
- The publication is connected to a grant provided by a Canadian institution.
Nominations must include the following information:
- Verification of CASCA membership (membership status queries may be addressed to email@example.com).
- The author(s)’ CV curriculum vitae.
- A letter of support from the nominator.
- A one paragraph description of the book publisher including the year of establishment and information about the series and other anthropological titles published. Please also provide the name and email of the publisher contact who will be responsible for mailing the books.
Nominations must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than May 15th, 2019.
Once the nomination package has been received, arrangements will be made for copies of the books to be sent by the publisher to those on the Prize Selection Committee. The publisher will have two weeks to arrange shipment.
Please note: the publisher of the winning book is permitted to mention this prize in any publicity relating to its publication. An interdisciplinary panel composed of CASCA Members will select the winner. The selection panel reserves the right not to award the prize in any given year. The winner will normally be announced by CASCA in September of the same year. There will be no appeals of the decision of the panel.