Anthropologica is the official journal of the Canadian Anthropology Society (CASCA). Anthropologica is peer-reviewed and publishes two issues per year (Spring and Fall), with innovative sections for theoretical, experimental, and practitioner-based scholarship in cultural anthropology. Please visit our website for more information and for submission guidelines.
Open Access Policy
Anthropologica is published under the Open Access model (Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 4.0 International license) and is therefore free for anybody to read and download, and to copy and disseminate for educational purposes.
Article Processing Charges (APCs)
The journal does not have APC or any submission charge.
Author Self-Archiving Policy
This journal permits and encourages authors to post items submitted to the journal on personal websites or institutional repositories both after publication, while providing bibliographic details that credit, its publication in this journal.
Between 1959 and 1979, Anthropologica was initially run by the Canadian Research Centre for Anthropology/Centre canadien de recherches pour l’anthropologie at St. Paul University (Ottawa). The journal had acquired a solid reputation, specializing in the study of Indigenous peoples. Anthropologica was transferred to Laurentian University in 1983 and to Wilfrid Laurier University Press in 1989, where it stayed until the merger with Culture.
The Canadian Ethnology Society was established in 1974. In 1981, under its current name, the Canadian Anthropology Society began to publish Culture (now the name of CASCA’s electronic newsletter). In 1987, the association changed its name to the Canadian Anthropology Society/Société canadienne d’anthropologie (CASCA). The current series of Anthropologica started in 1998 after the merger of Canada’s oldest refereed journal of social anthropology, Anthropologica, with the Canadian Anthropology Society’s primary journal, Culture. The Canadian Anthropology Society, which owns the combined journal decided to use the name Anthropologica, which had been in existence for 40 years. The University of Toronto Press published the journal between 2013 and 2020. It is now published and hosted by the University of Victoria libraries and is fully open access.
Anthropologica’s mandate is to reflect the range of research carried out by Canadian Anglophone and Francophone anthropologists and to disseminate that research within Canada and internationally in both languages. Given that Canadian Anthropologists conduct research in any number of global communities, rural and urban, our current focus extends beyond the traditional coverage of Indigenous Peoples to include ethnographic research carried out anywhere in the world by cultural anthropologists. In this way, the journal provides a more inclusive representation of Canadian anthropology scholarship which encompasses global as well as Canadian issues. We also include ethnographic research from international scholars who conduct research in Canada or who are identified by the editors as having important contributions to make to Canadian readers and to the theory, method and ethnography of the discipline.
Editors and contact
• Editor-in-Chief: Alexandrine Boudreault-Fournier
• Editor, English Manuscripts: Sue Frohlick
• Editorial Assistant: Jelena Golubovic
• Book Review Editor (English): Daniel Tubb
• Book Review Assistant: Luisa Giordani
• Book Review Editor (French): Karine Gagné
• Film and Exhibit Review Editor (English): Dara Culhane
• Film and Exhibit Review Editor (French): Simone Rapisarda
• Veret Amid, Sociology and Anthropology, Concordia University
• Michel Bouchard, Anthropology, University of Northern British Columbia
• Jaime Cidro, Anthropology, The University of Winnipeg
• Hilary Cunningham (Scharper), Anthropology, University of Toronto
• Virginia Dominguez, Anthropology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
• Denielle Elliott, Anthropology and Social Science, York University
• Natacha Gagné, Anthropology, Université Laval
• Amanda Graham, Northern Studies and History, Yukon College
• Monica Heller, Anthropology, University of Toronto
• Shannon Mattern, Anthropology, The New School for Social Research
• David A. B. Murray, Anthropology, York University
• Sarah Phillips, Anthropology, Indiana University
• Lara Rosenoff Gauvin, Anthropology, University of Manitoba
• Francine Saillant, Anthropology (emerita), Université Laval
• Scott Simon, Anthropology, University of Ottawa
• Alicia Sliwinski,Global Studies, Wilfrid Laurier University
• Meg Stalcup, Sociology and Anthropology, University of Ottawa
• Brian Thom, Anthropology, University of Victoria
• Helena Wulff, Social Anthropology, Stockholm University
• Amy Zhang, Anthropology, New York University
Most Recent Past Editors
• Sonja Luehrmann, Sociology and Anthropology, Simon Fraser University
• Jasmin Habib, Political Science, University of Waterloo
• Naomi McPherson Community, Culture and Global Studies, University of British Columbia
- Student job: Active City Volunteer Coordinator, contract, Ecology Ottawa, Ontario
- Clean Energy Campaigner – Beyond Coal Atlantic, full-time, Sierra Club Canada Foundation, Atlantic Canada
- Participant Support Specialist (Physical Disability Inclusion), full-time, Canadian Wildlife Federation, anywhere in Canada