Culture is CASCA's electronic newsletter and is published twice a year online.
Culture seeks to promote the work being done by anthropologists and CASCA members. Culture's niche is to allow a venue for publishing material that is not suitable for inclusion in our academic journal Anthropologica and yet deserves greater attention and content than an announcement posted on the web or distributed to the membership via our listserv.
The newsletter aims to publishing interesting and relevant submissions, while aiming to ensure an visually attractive presentation of the content with excellent design and carefully selected images and photos. The type of content we have published in the past included:
- Short biographies of noteworthy anthropologists highlighting their life's works;
- Innovative research being conducted by CASCA members and Canadian anthropologists;
- Discussion pieces examining critical social and political issues;
- Short research notes highlighting the work being done by anthropologists;
- Spotlighting anthropological programs: publicizing the excellent anthropology programs and departments across the country;
- Photos from the field;
Call for submission of articles and events:
We are currently accepting articles and discussion pieces, news items, event announcements and book notes for the next issue.
We especially encourage CASCA members to submit pieces that would address the exclusion from an anthropological point of view.
Submissions (500 to 1000, photos encouraged) should be made by April 1st (for the spring issue) or by October 1st (for the fall issue). Please send your submissions and inquiries to: Maggie Cummings, Anglophone Member-at-Large and/or Marie Michèle Grenon, Francophone Member-at-Large.
Policy and guidelines:
- Articles and discussion pieces:
- Recommended length: 500 to 1000 words;
- Photos and images: we encourage you to submit with your piece some photos or images that we can include in the design. If there are no photos avaiable, we reserve the right to include appropriate images that fit the theme and content of the piece;
- Only current paid-up members of CASCA can publish articles in Culture.
- Book notes:
- We will only accept book note submissions from current CASCA members;
- Recommended lenght: 150 words either submitted by e-mail or as either a TXT, DOC or RTF attachment. We reserve the right to edit the text to fit available space;
- Photo: we ask that you submit an image of the book cover as a GIF, JPEG or TIFF file.
The editors of Culture are the Anglophone and Francophone Members at Large. For more information as to the newsletter or if you wish to submit content to the newsletter, please contact our editors:
- Student job: Active City Volunteer Coordinator, contract, Ecology Ottawa, Ontario
- Clean Energy Campaigner – Beyond Coal Atlantic, full-time, Sierra Club Canada Foundation, Atlantic Canada
- Participant Support Specialist (Physical Disability Inclusion), full-time, Canadian Wildlife Federation, anywhere in Canada